Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gimme gimme gimme that MONEY!

So, I found myself dealing with some money issues lately. Not the kind that are about not having any, it's about its distribution. It's an odd sort of dealing when you have the "control" of other peoples's money.

I never gave it much thought. I always felt that if a service was provided, you get paid. So, if I commission someone to play with me, tell them a rate for what I want, they get it. But, if they DON'T deliver, I shouldn't pay them what I said, right?

Some people obviously feel different.

You know, I'm still at the beginning of my journey into DIY musician-ing, and am still in the midst of meeting more people (I suppose I'll never meet enough, but I know very few now) and getting regular shows, earning trust, etc.

In this process I have met other working musicians, and have established friendships with most. I feel it's important to be friendly.

But where do I draw the line of getting taken advantage of by other musicians?

I mean, if the musicians I attempt to reach out to don't deliver, and they still make demands of compensation is it wrong to say "no"? It seems that being that Albuquerque is really small, if someone starts saying "Carlos didn't pay me for a show we did together, blah, blah, blah..." it could cause a backlash that is hard to shake.

It's a little frustrating.

I consider all of the musicians I play with my friends. If it's a show that is mine, (i.e. I set it up, provided gear, etc.) I'm the one that gets paid from the venue. So, I try to distribute the money in a fair (equal) manner.

But I suppose everyone has their idea of what's fair.

I'm starting to figure saying "Fine, here's the money" to them, and just no longer working with that musician. I'm not about to go flaming them and marking their names as bad. But I suppose the easiest and best outcome, so no one tries to say I screwed them out  of money, is to no longer work with them.

Sounds like a simple conclusion.

Ok, I'll post a positive blog next time, promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment